Object-oriented programming language - Smalltalk/X
Smalltalk/X, a product from eXept Software AG, is a complete implementation of the programming language Smalltalk, class library and development environment, providing:
- An object-oriented programming language
- Graphic development environment with editors, browsers, debuggers, GUI builders, etc.
- Incremental compilation, byte code interpreter and dynamic (just-in-time) compiler
- Static compilation and DLL generation, controlled by make-files
- Comprehensive class library with ready-to-use modules for applications
- Open Smalltalk source code.
Implementation of the language and class library complies with the draft ANSI standard and the industry standard.
Free to Use! Smalltalk/X may be used even for the development of commercial software and applications without any licence fee (a few minor restrictions apply). Please take a look at the licence conditions, which are part of the download package.
Optimized software development process
One outstanding feature of Smalltalk/X is the fact that it offers an interpretative development environment (with the associated short turnaround times that this yields) as well as a compiler which translates Smalltalk classes into real machine code:
- Standalone applications can be generated (without image files)
- Compiled class libraries (DLLs / shared libraries) can be generated
- Simple incorporation of (inline) C-code and/or connection of external C-libraries and DLLs
- Time-critical functions can be optimized using inline C-code
Smalltalk/X also serves as a platform for many products and customer projects created by eXept.